Become a Bail Bond Agent with Bailout Bail Bonds
If you are looking for a fun and rewarding career, take a look at becoming a surety bail bond agent, also referred to as a Bail Bondsman.
The journey to becoming a Surety Bondsman in South Carolina is not difficult and is pretty much straightforward:
1. Meet the basic requirements of the South Carolina Dept. of Insurance
All bail bondsmen must meet the following criteria BEFORE they apply for a license:
- 18 years old or older
- A resident of South Carolina
- A person of good moral character
- Must not have any felony convictions of a crime involving moral turpitude in the last ten (10) years
The requirements are easy to meet and anyone that is willing to put in the required hours for learning can become a South Carolina licensed bail bondsman in minimal time.
2. Complete the required training for bail bonds agents.
The Pre-Licensing Course for Bail Bondsmen in South Carolina is a mandatory, 30-hour course course (administered only by educators certified by the Dept. of Insurance) that covers general insurance and its regulations, the legal framework of contracts, Chapter 53 of the South Carolina Code of Laws, and the principles of bail bonding. Once you have successfully completed the course, you will be issued a certificate of completion.
3. Take and pass the state licensing exam.
Register for the [SC Professional Bail Bondsman/Runner exam at PSI Exams] to schedule a time and date. The test will take around 65 minutes and requires a $45 exam fee. Below is the [outline of the exam]:
10% – Insurance Regulation
29% – The Legal Framework
61% – Bail Bond Principles and Practices
When you pass your exam, you can proceed with your license application through the NIPR. Your test scores are good for 1 year.
4. Obtain a limited lines producer license.
To apply for your producer license, apply online at the National Insurance Producer Registry [(NIPR)], pay the $25 licensing fee, and schedule an appointment with IdentoGo for fingerprinting. For more details, visit the [SC Department of Insurance website].
5. Apply for your Surety Bondsman License.
Visit the National Insurance Producer Registry website [(NIPR)] and apply for a Surety Bondsman license. You’ll also need to provide the following to the South Carolina Dept. of Insurance:
- Limited lines producer license
- Licensing fee of $40
- One passport-sized photograph
- Certificate of Completion of your pre-licensing course
- Your licensing exam report from PSI
- Two fingerprint cards (a separate requirement from your Producer License)
- Proof of appointment with a South Carolina Surety Bail Bondsman or Surety Company.
For more details, visit the [SC Department of Insurance website].
Become a Surety Bondsman appointed with Bailout Bail Bonds
While it’s possible to begin a career in bail bonding on your own, Bailout Bail Bonds offers you an easier way to become a bail bondsman and eventually have the chance to establish your own bail bond agency.
Working as a licensed bail bonds agent of Bailout Bail Bonds gives you a significant advantage:
- Assistance during your licensing exam preparation
- Supervision during your start-up phase
- 24/7 live support for all agents
- Marketing assistance to help you grow
- Training on posting of bonds, handling forfeitures, and more
- Documentation tools and software training
- Continuing education (provided by acccredited educators)
At Bailout Bail Bonds, we help educate agents and provide the assistance you need. With our guidance, you can look forward to a rewarding career as a surety bondsman in South Carolina.
We’d love to talk more about how we can help you start your career in surety. Give us a call and let’s [schedule an appointment].